Thursday afternoon, July 4th, Dean and I observed an immature Roseate
Spoonbill in the lighthouse pond at St. Marks NWR..  It was resting with
a few gulls and terns, including at least one Gull-billed Tern.  The
water level was high, and there were very few shorebirds in the pond -
just a lone dowitcher and a handful of Greater Yellowlegs.  No sign of
Black-necked Stilts (this species was conspicuous on  a June 9th visit
to the refuge).  Other birds in the lighthouse pond included an immature
Reddish Egret and a male Northern Shoveler.  Three Black-crowned Night
Herons (one immature and two adults) were foraging on the mudflats near
the jetty.  As we were leaving the refuge, we observed what we
identified as an immature or female Redhead in Stony Bayou #1.  My
favorite sighting of the day was an adult Clapper Rail with two fluffy
black chicks feeding in the slough beside the lighthouse road.  There
were at least four other clappers nearby (tide was low).

(Sorry about the late post.)

Sally Jue
Tallahassee, FL