The landfill is hopping with fledglings right now.  Everywhere I drove I was
finding young ones being attended by adults or on their own.  I learned from
one of the garbage cells fellows that he has seen a young Sandhill Crane as
well.  My Northern Rough-winged Swallows have fledged and moved on.  I found
5 Bald Eagles hanging around on the poles and edges of the foodpile.  This
landfill is so attractive that even the eagles are staying around instead of
wandering off!  I even found a young Least Tern.  I am very suspicious that
at least one pair may have nested out there as I found 7 pairs all in
courting behaviour in a new cell being prepared for food later this year in
early June.

Some of the roads are totally washed out and flooded due to the heavy rains
so driving is very limited right now.  If you go out there to check things
out just be careful.

Meret S Wilson
Ormond Beach, FL