Thanks to all who gave me advice on how to find the Scrub Jays at Oscar Scherer State Park.  I was there Sunday morning and so were the Jays at the far end of the picnic area.  I got up close and personal with two Jays--or should I say that they got up close and personal with me.  One flew within an inch or two of my head; another actually gave me a nice peck on the head.  He landed about two feet from me and was with two other Jays (I was at the start of the walking trail at the time.).  The three of them stared at me.  I told them that I was a friendly visitor from North Carolina who meant no trouble.  They let me pass without any more incidents.

Bill Duston
Charlotte, NC

P.S.- After Oscar Scherer, I went to Fort De Soto State Park and had great views of shorebirds including four tern species in various plumages (Black, Least, Sandwich, and Royal.)  The Sandwich Terns were life-birds for me.