Richard Cox wrote, "Actually, not all records professionals work in the
for-profit sector.
They work in government, cultural institutions, higher education,
religious, and other organizations where profit is not the entire end."

In both the non-profit historic home that I previously worked for, and my
current position at a non-profit religious denomination, it is true, profit
is not the entire end.

BUT (and this is a huge BUT) they want to spend what money they have
wisely, and let's face it - how many archives / records management programs
get first cut of the overall budget? My experience has been that
non-profits may not be out to make a huge profit, but they do want to stay
afloat, and as such tend to look at expenses in a similar way as
for-profits. I can't tell you how many times I heard at my previous job
versions of the phrase, "We put more money toward the education department
because they bring in the money with their programming." From an upper
management view-point, this theory of spending money where money comes in
makes sense. But, adhering to this viewpoint so strictly that offices such
as Archives and Records Centers do not get the funding they need can be the
downfall of an organization. How can ARMA fit into that equation and how
can that be effectively presented to management?

I think it is important to talk about the money end of things. Does anyone
have any examples of effective explanations for how a membership to ARMA
can benefit an organization monetarily? (aside from discounts to
conferences that are still too expensive for many to attend)

Thanks for allowing me to ramble. :)
Bridgette