The Melville story is a classic of mid nineteenth century short story
writing and it is a classic tale of an individual trapped by circumstances
in a hard scrabble society.  For the record, the life of scribes was very
difficult -- long tedious hours, harsh conditions, poor pay, and no
authority or chance for advancement.  However, if present day records
managers get unduly concerned about a movie of the story or the story
itself, then they only reveal themselves as somewhat humorless and
ignorant of the history of record-keeping.  Loosen up!

Richard J. Cox
Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Voice:  412-624-3245