Once upon a time,  the nominating committee (including one person from each
region looked at a candidate's background and interviewed that person in a
group during a conference.  The selection of the committee was essentially
the preferred candidate and, typically, the only name connected with the
office.

As you might imagine, not everyone was happy with this method.   There were
cases where the person selected was not the person most people
wanted.  There were some of cases of write-ins--a small number successful,
as I recall.  The only problem open nominations seemed to have was
campaigning.  The reality was that under the old system there was still
campaigning of a sort.  So, regardless of what you call it ("promoting"?),
there will always be campaigning.  Human nature.

Mike