John, very well put.

The Pacific Region (formally Region VI), at a leadership conference in 1995
had our Region Vice President (Linda Masquefa) put an item on the agenda to
allow the membership to elect the officers who run the association.  She
personally was not in favor of the idea, but expressed to the group that it
was her duty to represent the region and it's wishes to HQ.  She placed the
matter on the agenda and we now have the ability and responsibility to
elect those who run the association.

To show you how things can change and why I never give up.  Also at the
conference was former Secretary/Treasured Michael Flanagan, as our HQ
guest.  He told the group that we did not have voting rights in the
association because the general membership did not posses the
qualifications to select the leadership of the association.  My response to
him was that if I could cast a vote for the most powerful person in the
world, but not for those who run our association, how could he consider me
qualified to even be an ARMA member?  (It's the membership, stupid.)

Bottom line, we didn't give up, we fought long and hard to earn the vote.
Let's use that vote to direct who and how we want our organization run.
I'm glad someone like Juanita Skillman is encouraging members to vote and
is making the positive effort to communicate with the membership.  I feel
that she is a member first and realizes that the purpose of the BOD is to
serve it's members.

Michael

Michael W. Goode
Manager, Records & Legal Operations
Blakely Sokoloff Taylor & Zafman
408-720-8300

***The information herein is confidential and may be privileged.  If you
are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, or use of the contents
of this email is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify me immediately and destroy the email you have received.***

                    John Phillips
                    <john@INFOTECHDECI        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    SIONS.COM>                cc:
                    Sent by: Records          Subject:     Re: Response from your ARMA President
                    Management Program
                    FL.EDU>

                    07/30/02 03:08 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Records Management
                    Program

Stephen,

No politics at all. There are valid reasons to vote for either candidate.
Just understand the issues clearly and exercise your right to vote, that's
all. It would be ludicrous for ARMA to suggest that candidates have
"positions" that are not significantly different. If that is the case, why
have an election?

What my message shows is that the Board of Directors becomes insulated
against input other than what is presented them by ARMA HQ in preparation
for BOD meetings. Occasionally they need a "wake-up call" with direct input
from a variety of members. I was telling the leadership for some time that
the SIM/SII program and concepts were not being well received, and I
believe
they saw me as simply being negative. The conference gave a clear
indication
that this was not simply my opinion.

My encouragement to vote is simply to get people involved, so that there
are
no "hanging chads" left afterward.

John

John T. Phillips MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI