We have taken a different approach. As Mary has said- the IT folks in our
facility do not really perform an archiving function. Archiving of records
is performed by the Document Management group through our Document
Management system following a record management procedure and utilizing our
record retention schedule. Archived information is tracked in the database
and archived as a digital image on high quality CD (must be coated with
pthalacyanide dye). In the cases where hardcopy is involved it is tracked in
the database, bar-coded and sent to a record center.  The IT folks simply
perform a daily back-up task on tape for all electronic servers and this
information is automatically deleted after 30 days. There is a monthly
back-up that is kept for 1-year. As Mary has said- it is extremely difficult
to recover this information for the end user. These tapes are not the
official records for the facility. This is a courtesy for the personnel at
the facility.

We have evolved into an electronic workflow facility that utilizes
electronic tools for sharing information. Our routine work process utilizes
electronic files and folders in a structured manner. Unfortunately it is not
managed by the DMS from cradle to grave, which is what you should be
targeting for. This is our ultimate goal.

All of this is not as complex as it might sound. Most people are using some
sort of database where they work. The database holds the index and using
your record retention schedule as the baseline for the index you can build a
very good coded table for the user world. Adding PDF files, as well as
scanned images, you are half the way home. Most good databases will accept
images.

Regards,
Mike Popkin
Supervisor, Document Management