From: Peg Schram [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 12:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Flood in Indiana

On Wednesday the 26th of June, 2002 Allen County Indiana
was deluged with about 2" of water,. This water found its way
into the tunnel that connects our City/County Building and the
Courthouse. The tunnel filled up with about 3 feet of water,
which then poured into the storage rooms in the City/County
Building basement.
This storm made the national news and was reported on the
Weather Channel.
On Thursday I made a cursory look at the damage of the
City/County Building. My finding was that damage occurred at
each end of the building. The East Side sustained mild damage
while the West Side was more involved.
On Thursday morning I started looking for a refrigerated trailer
to rent. This is the first step in any water damage situation. I
called four places and finally found one from Ryder, the truck
coudn't be delivered until Friday around 9-ish as this was the
only one I could find, I took it. I then ordered a crew of
Community Correction people for the next day to help remove
and pack the truck.
On Friday about 9:30 A.M. two men from Document
Reprocessors showed up looking for the Records Manager.
Their boss had heard of our plight on television and sent these
men to see if they could help. When they arrived in town they
purchased a local newspaper and saw on the front page people
removing wet document boxes from the City/County building
and knew that was the hot spot.
I recognized their business from the "Disaster Recovery
Journal". These men were exactly what we needed for this
project. After signing a contract in the County's Property
Manager's office. We began to unpack the wet records, place
them in clean dry boxes, transferring the information from the old
box to the new and tore off the information from the old box and
placed it in the new box for later identification. These new boxes
were identified as to where they were from and given the job
code, numbered and indexed and placed in the freezer and
wrapped with stretch wrap for the journey to Rochester, New
York where they will be freeze dried and returned to us to be
placed back from where they came.
We worked Friday from 7:30 A.M. until 7:30 P. M. and
Saturday from 8:00 A. M. to 8:30 P.M.
We ended up with around 400 cubic feet of records. Not a big
job but big enough for us.
If you ever are in need of kind of work these people do, use
Document Reprocessors. They do work above and beyond that
which is required. They are your answer to your wet record
problems.
Believe me they saved our records and saved me.

Peg Schram
Records Manager-ACS
Allen County/City of Fort Wayne
1 West Superior St. B-11