>Here are some more interesting excerpts from the article:
>"Some were sprinkled with water, but we don't think
>any serious damage was done."
><snip>
>
>Was the facility fully sprinklered?

 From the Dayton facility Web Page:
http://www.archives.gov/facilities/oh/dayton/facility_information.html

NARA's Great Lakes Region
(Dayton, OH)
Facility Information
The Dayton complex occupies 3.5 buildings encompassing 574,000 square feet
with a storage capacity of 2.93 million cartons. The main building,
Building 4, also contains space for conferences and research. Perimeter
security, an intrusion alarm system, pest control, fire alarm and sprinkler
systems, a friendly and capable staff ensure the safety of records at our
facility.

There's no mention if the facilities sprinklers went off inside the
building or not... the "sprinkled" may have been referring to water coming
in from outside the building, seeing as there was no indication that there
was ever any sign of fire inside the facility itself.

><snip>
>The volume of paper in the building might have been
>a blessing, he said. "Because it's so full, so
>condensed, it's not as combustible as you might
>think."
>
>Is the facility compartmentalized?

I don't know specifically,but based on the size of the facilities being
described as 574,000 sq ft over 3.5 buildings, it's unlikely that any one
facility had a storage space exceeding 250,000.

>The true blessing is that the fire apparently occurred on the roof and not
>within the facility itself.

Yeah, but what was interesting was this quote from the article :

"...Moraine Fire Department said the fire was small and that most of the
damage occurred from water and a hole that firefighters had to punch in the
roof to contain the flames."

So if the fire was ON THE ROOF, why would they have to punch a hole THROUGH
THE ROOF to fight it??

The article also says:

"... after firefighters made their way to the roof and contained the
flames. "They made a small hole, put tarps over the boxes inside and foamed
the entire roof of the building," Hatcher said. "They went to great lengths
to make sure they didn't cause any more damage."

So I'd have to assume it was a building with some form of attic or sub-roof
that there was a concern that the fire could burn through the exterior roof
and get trapped in an attic or crawl space and continue burning
undetected.  Generally, the only time a hole is punched through a roof when
fighting a fire is to attempt to extinguish a fire inside a building from
the outside.

Larry