Hello - how documents, records and archives are sloshing around in the
public sector? I am building a business case for a metadata toolkit and am
trying to piece together some metrics to figure out market size etc.

If I assume that a government department generates 3 million documents per
year, then what ratio of those documents could I assume would be (or become)
records - and again for archives?

My GUESS is 3 million documents = 500,000 records = 25,000 archives (the
last is from my archival training which suggested 3-7% of records were
archives)

The first number will hopefully be more realistically and specifically
generated - I am interested in people's gauge of the ratios.

A good one to kick-start the week?

cheers

Liz

Elizabeth Scott-Wilson
Head of Public Sector Practice
Advisory and Knowledge Services
The Stationery Office
Tel:    +44 (020) 7873 8341
Fax:    +44 (020) 7873 8284
Mobile: +44 (078) 0118 0554
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web:    http://www.tso.co.uk
TSO The Information Management Company

This message is sent in strict confidence for the addressee only.  It may
contain legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed
to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested
to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any
error in transmission.
presence of computer viruses, however we cannot guarantee that this message
is free from such problems.