What could be done to convince upper management that membership in ARMA is a
good investment for the organization?"..............

It may also be beneficial to look within our organizations to see if there
are other "professional" associations staff belong to (memberships), which
are being subsidized or paid for by the organization and to see how they are
being justified? In other words, do our homework and make a good case.

In the 20 years I have been in the Records/Information management field I
have seen a shift in the way records/information management is being viewed
in organizations.  I believe, albeit slowly, organizations are finally
understanding the importance of responsibly managing their information.

Where you see reluctance in paying for a membership in ARMA, as an example,
could be indicitive of how much an organization understands the importance
of responsible management of their information assets.  I have seen first
hand engineers, accountants and planners who have had little or no
difficulty in securing financing for their memberships and conversely an
information management "professional" being turned down.  Are we too not
"professionals"? I digress, as this is endemic in many organizations and
doesn't sit well with me.

I truly believe we are on the right track with making our case on the
importance of responsible management of our corporate information, but until
senior management "get it" we will still be struggling to make our case or
justifying a membership in an association like ARMA.

My final thoughts.  Great feedback on this subject.  Thank you.

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Business Development and Strategic Planning Division,
Information Management Directorate,
Finance and Administration Branch,
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency,
16th Floor, Albion Tower, 25 Nicolas Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5

        '       (613) 957-6621
        "       http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca