Hello All
10 years ago when I was helping set up the RIM program here at Honda of
America Mfg. (Hi Lorinda), we knew that our in-house records center would
dispose a lot of records.  Realizing that not everything needs to be
shredded, we came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper and easier to
obtain a monster shredder (and baler) and just shred everything.  We
bought a big Allegheny shredder and a small baler.  We shred everything.
Everything gets recycled.  Nothing from the records center goes to a
landfill.  When we have accumulated a truck-load of bales, we call our
recycler.  We load the truck and a few weeks later they send us a check
for the value of the paper.  It is not much, but our goal was to break
even on the process.  Over the last 10 years, we have received back nearly
$30,000... more than enough to pay for the shredder (and part of the
baler).  More importantly, I can sleep a little better at night knowing
that our records have been securely and ecologically disposed.

Regards,
Dan Jones
Honda of America Manufacturing
Records Information Center