7/9/02

        Mr. Kasparian still sounds as if he is calling "records analysis"---an
already existing function within records management---by another name. Most
of the recommendations he makes have been around for a long time and can be
achieved by records management's working closely with IT, Human Resources
Administration, and senior management. To the extent that that kind of
cooperation is difficult---it cannot, in my opinion, be remedied by thinking
up new names and new jargon. Being named "Strategic Information Officer" is
not likely to land one at the table at which these others sit. Mr. Kasparian
is correct that most organizations are sloppy with their information---so
are most people. They always will be. The remedy is in selling the everyday
management of information (and records), based on sound policies and
procedures and with upper management support. There is a great deal of
difficulty here, though no mystery---nor any reason to create one.

        I am still not clear---nor do I believe that Mr. Kasparian is clear,
frankly---about what it means to "[manage] in a strategic manner, with
'planning'". I hesitate to go over old ground again regarding the merits or
lack of merit in "strategic planning"---except to quote Wooldridge and
Micklethwait, *The Witch Doctors*: "Strategic planning is not strategic
thinking". To assert that "When records managers are a part of the career
path that ultimately leads to the Strategic Information Officer, they will
be viewed as more important
to the organization of which they are a part"---this is an assumption
without *any* evidence to back it up.

Ed Southern

Edwin Southern, Ph.D  ([log in to unmask])
Head, State and University Records Unit
Department of Cultural Resources
Division of Historical Resources
Archives and Records Section
Government Records Branch
4615 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4615

Phone 919/733-3540
Fax 919/715-3627

Opinions in this message might not
represent the policies of this agency.

E-Mail to and from me, in connection
with the transaction of public business,
is subject to the North Carolina Public
Records Law and may be disclosed to third
parties.