I concur with the statements made by Mike, Dwight and
others. It is rare (though not impossible) to find a
lawyer, in-house or outside counsel, who knows much
about the topic.  Prior to this time, it just wasn't on
their radar screen, and who could blame them?  You
didn't make partner at a major law firm or general
counsel at a large corporation because you knew about
records retention schedules.

Lately though, I've had discussions with a number of
corporate lawyers who seem to have recently developed
an interest in the subject of records retention
policies :)

John Montana
Montana & Associates