I have been researching the costs of storing information electronically. I
have not found one good source.

The question is complicated. Your are unlikely to find something as simple
as a quote like "it costs the average organization $.98 annually to store an
electronic document". That sort of psuedo-stat is useless. First, there is
no "average organization" and second "an electronic document" is a
meaningless measure.

I think the cost of storing information is best approached as a
cost-benefit-risk analysis. Look at how the information is used. Would a
different medium make the information more usable? Would that use be more
valuable to the organization? What are the values of the record to the
organization? How do the uses and values change over time? For example, one
of the prime benefits of electronic records is the easy accessibility.
However, if the record is kept 10 years and 97% of the access requests are
in the first six months, do we want this record clogging up the server?

Then you have to look at the full cost of the media. Server space is only
the beginning when dealing with electronic records.

I am in the process of researching and writing an article for the Records
and Information Management Report (Sep or Oct probably) that will focus on
the question of costs of storing records electronically. If you do not
subscribe Greenwood does sell individual copies. If you would rather, I will
be glad to share my bibliography (do not ask me until about August 15th - it
is not done & I will forget you asked me -- my brain is so busy, that it
keeps suffering from buffer overruns!)

Ann Balough, CRM