I had the good fortune to be listening to the Todd Mundt show on NPR some months ago when the guest was a "Garbologist" from Tucson. He has been studying decomposition rates on landfills since the mid-70s and has been doing stratum mapping in landfills and sharing cultural information gathered from these various digs.

I was struck by the comment that on one such dig, various paper materials were uncovered from the late 1940s. These materials had been immersed in water for much of their landfill life. The paper was still legible.

<snip>and that the paper be placed
in a freshly dug hole and wet down with water on each layer before being
covered with dirt.  I think the theory was the water and dirt on each "thin"
layer of paper would hasten the decomposition. <snip>

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim Booth
Executive Director