From: Roach, Bill J. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 3:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Non-records related - safety message

Andrei,

Your point is well taken.  Sites like the one you reference do identify
whether something may be a hoax.  They also will tell you if it is real.  If
you go to the site you will find that this is not a hoax.

"1. Urban Legends Reference Pages: Automobiles (Static Quo)
Is static electricity a suspected cause of a reported increase in gas
station refueling fires?
  Static Quo Claim: Static electricity is a suspected cause of a reported
increase in gas station refueling fires. Status: True....
  ...is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a
result of "static" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of
these"
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.htm

Static electricity is a real problem when pumping gasoline into both
vehicles and into gas cans.  That is why most gas pumps carry a warning
label to place gas containers on the ground prior to filling them with gas.

Bill Roach, CRM
EDMS Coordinator
ND ITD/Records Management
701-328-3589