RichardC wrote:
>> an individual should be responsible
  for the
  costs of their own membership.<<

The problem lies with the fact that as an information management professional there are many organizations that I do/should belong to. In many cases I already pick up the membership cost myself. For example a diligent RIM professional could find themselves belonging to the following national organizations

ARMA
SAA (Society of American Archivists)
AIIM
BFMA (Business Forms Management Association)
TAWPI (The Association for Work Process Improvement)
NAGARA
(and I am sure that there others I am missing)

Regional Associations - If you are an archivist you might belong to any number of regional archives associations.

If you are certified then you have the dues for one or both of the following; (I assume that if an organization requires a certification as a must have for the job then they should be willing to pay the membership)
ICRM
ACA

Basically if I were to pay for all of the above my membership dues would be well over the $500 mark. Not easy to handle if they all come due in the same month.

I have thought for a long time that it would nice if the various national organizations would get together and offer a joint membership. Most professionals such as engineers, lawyers etc have generally one professional organization to which they belong. RIM professionals have a wide range.

--
Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va