Aside from the issues of killing people, Social Network Analysis is
especially sensitive to misuse when individual people or organizations are
identified and targeted for particular purposes of the organization
sponsoring the research. This is true whether the organization is a
corporation that is using SNA for purposes of promotion or other kinds of
rewards rather that trying to understand, in general, how its systems work,
or an organization that uses SNA to target people who might be enemies.

We cannot do SNA without collecting data on particular individuals or
organizations. I try in my consulting to make sure that these data are not
used in inappropriate ways. I make this clear from the outset and insist
that I or my fellow researchers or consultants have exclusive control of
and access to the database that results. Generally, in working with the
military or with intelligence agencies, this condition is hard to enforce.