Barry - sounds like George Lakoff's "Women Fire and Dangerous
Things: What Categories Reveal About the Mind".

Another similar set of interests for reading is Bowker and Star
"Sorting things out: classification and its consequences" -  see

http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/1999/RRE.Sorting.Things.Out.C.html

for the introduction.

Ed

Edward Vielmetti