Funny, I recall a similar discussion sprang up on this list last year. I was
one of the few arguing in favor of academics providing support to the U.S.
military. Several of those opposed to cooperation with the military argued
that those of us characterizing the terrorists and their sympathizers as
evil were painting too black and white a picture. Some time soon after I
posted links and excerpts to three articles addressing this point: one
explaining what the war is about from the Muslim fundamentalists' point of
view, one critiquing the "it's just not black and white" point of view, and
one addressing the tepid response of academics to the new wave of patriotism
sweeping the U.S.
The next morning Stan Wasserman sent me an email which read: "Please, take
these and similar email notes elsewhere. This has nothing to do with
SOCNET."
Can someone provide some parameters for what defines acceptable commentary
this time around?

Sincerely,

Tony Woodlief
Charles G. Koch Foundation