        "The previous outbreak of political discussion was purely politics,
and
        had nothing to do with SNA, and was not different in any meaningful
way from the political discussion you can get a thousand other places."

I disagree. The debate was about whether people with SNA skills should
assist the U.S. government in fighting terrorists. Those opposed argued,
among other reasons, that the military is approach is ill-conceived, that
the issue is not black and white, in the form of evil terrorists vs. good
Americans. Their response was, in other words, about politics (and perfectly
fair given the evolution of the debate). Wasserman made no effort to censor
them. Only when a couple of us took up that element of their argument did he
step in to quash the debate.

I don't think it's possible to talk about this issue without talking about
politics. I can see the merits of forbidding it, therefore, should most
people on the list wish to avoid such a discussion. I don't think we should
deceive ourselves, though, into thinking that the issue (assisting
governments in fighting terrorists) can be addressed without discussing the
questions that emerged in the first debate.

Tony Woodlief
Charles G. Koch Foundation