Marya-
I'd also encourage everyone who is practicing "applied" SNA to research the
ethics of the profession they are analyzing.  Many of the same questions
that might pertain to SNA ethics in this application are contained in the
body of literature on military ethics/morality.  Many of the most vocal
critics of the military might be surprised at the level of serious thought
(and education) that most military officers and enlisted have about morality
and ethics in war.  The modern soldier, contrary to popular fiction (such as
the retired Marine Colonel in the movie "American Beauty") are fairly open
minded and well educated.  I would therefore suggest that the literature of
ethics for applied SNA should include research into the ethics of the
profession under study.

Truth in advertising: I am a Commander in the US Naval Reserves with 16
years of active duty and 45 days of combat operations.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey R. Cares
President, Alidade Consulting