This was a very interesting set of responses to my statement of my
personal ethical position.  I think a number of interesting issues about
ethics in SNA came up in it.  I am fascinated by the high ratio of
comments about whether such topics should be discussed to the
content-oriented discussion.  I am also impressed that we did not at all
go into hostility mode.  (By the way, someone may have implied that my
original statement was pompous and self-righteous.  I do not think it
was, but I could be wrong.  If you think so, please let's discuss that
off-list.)

I am also fascinated that the original posters on this list seem to have
received a number of off-list positive responses to their request for
collaboration.  This raises interesting issues, I would think, for those
who use elists in SNA research, since clearly much of the most imortant
content here was in the form of off-list feedback loops that would be
missed in an Elist-message-based study.

And I agree that Maya raised an interesting question; as did Charles.
Thanks to both of you.
best
sam
best,
sam

Sam Friedman
National Development and Research Institutes
71 West 23d Street
New York, NY 10010
USA
1 212 845 4467