   Today, while doing the NAMC Fall Migration Count, we had a first
year Black-headed Gull in a flock of Laughing Gulls on Daytona Beach.
The bird was seen on the beach behind Peck's Plaza condominium, in
the 2500 block of S.Atlantic Ave. (DeLorme, page 75 C-2) This is
actually considered the town of Daytona Beach Shores. The bird was in
a flock of about 60 Laughing Gulls that were all in various stages of
molting to winter plumage. The bird was the same size as the Laughing
Gulls it was standing with and its orange legs and dark tipped orange
bill stood out. Two of us had very good views of the bird until some
"helpful" children came along throwing handfuls of wet sand at any
birds they encountered. We continued southward along the beach and
did not see the bird again. It may have gone north a short distance
and we missed it.  Photos will be posted as soon as the slides are
developed.

   From I-95, take Exit 85 (SR 421, Dunlawton Ave.) east to S.Atlantic
Ave. Go north approx. 2.5 miles. Look for the Daytona Beach Shores
Hilton Hotel. Turn east onto the beach ramp or seek available parking
nearby. Peck's Plaza in the condo on the north side of this beach
ramp. At low tide, large flocks of gulls congregate at this site.
--
David Hartgrove
conservation chair,