Everyone who's reported to county coordinator Mike Manetz has confirmed
that this was a slow day for migrants. My Newnans Lake team felt the
effects - no cuckoos, no thrushes, no swallows till the last half-hour of
daylight, only one tanager. The seventeen million duck hunters roaring back
and forth across the lake this morning didn't help matters any; many water
birds we normally find in good numbers were cowering in the cattails.
Nonetheless Judy Bryan, Lee Gordon, and I managed to eke out 79 species
from our territory. It took 14 hours, and I can barely walk, but what does
personal suffering and perhaps permanent disability matter, compared to the
glory of the migration count?

Here's my team's tally:

Pied-billed Grebe  7
Double-crested Cormorant  47
Anhinga  3
American Bittern  1
Great Blue Heron  24
Great Egret  5
Snowy Egret  7
Little Blue Heron  6
Tricolored Heron  15
Cattle Egret  6
Green Heron  3
Black-crowned Night-Heron  4
Glossy Ibis  4
Black Vulture  38
Turkey Vulture  74
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  15
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  14
Wood Duck  13
Mottled Duck  6
Blue-winged Teal  27
Osprey  4
Bald Eagle  6
Northern Harrier  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  7
Merlin  1
Wild Turkey  8
King Rail  3
Sora  5
Purple Gallinule  1
Common Moorhen  3
Royal Tern  2
Mourning Dove  11
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Barred Owl  3
Common Nighthawk  1
Chimney Swift  30
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  25
Downy Woodpecker  25
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  5
Acadian Flycatcher  5
White-eyed Vireo  32
Red-eyed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  20
American Crow  12
Fish Crow  2
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  40
Carolina Wren  36
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  45
Eastern Bluebird  3
Northern Mockingbird  14
Brown Thrasher  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Northern Parula  16
Yellow Warbler  5
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3
Magnolia Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow-throated Warbler  14
Pine Warbler  5
Prairie Warbler  8
Black-and-white Warbler  5
American Redstart  6
Ovenbird  4
Northern Waterthrush  3
Common Yellowthroat  30
Hooded Warbler  1
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  27
Indigo Bunting  2
Red-winged Blackbird  1250
Common Grackle  1
Boat-tailed Grackle  38

(And Paul, I celebrated - make that recuperated - with a Mackeson's Triple
Stout, administered intravenously because I can't move.)

Rex Rowan
2041 NE 15th Terrace
Gainesville, FL  32609
(352) 371-9296