---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:36:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
To: Carla R. Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIRDCHAT] Bird Feeders in south Florida

  We often get calls in the winter months from people whose bird feedrs
stop having birds. The answer is usually a merlin or a sharp-shinned hawk
that has been using their feeder as a different kind of bird feeder. We
try to encourage people to be careful where they locate their feeders or
better still to plant appropriate native plants. Two many bird feeders in
Coral Gables, FL become pigeon or dove feeders but, of course, the
wintering peregrines(and merlins) find them quite tasty.
  Bob Kelley
  University of Miami
  Coral Gables, FL
P.S. It is really tough to have to watch the Blue and Gold McCaws flying
around our campus, but someone has to do it. They have been nesting in the
wild here for almost 20 years and are the only parrot of the 30+ species
in the area that we owe to Parrot Jungle.