Regarding the bill of the Key West bird not matching any pictures of
Slaty-backed:  if you peruse photos on the Japanese gull site I posted a few
days ago, you will see that birds IDed as 4th winter Slaty-backed have bills
that vary from having a yellow tip, dusky subterminal band, and pinkish base
to birds showing a larger yellow tip, no subterminal band, and a pinkish
base.   This can be interpreted as the bill "maturing," that is, changing
from a subadult pattern to the adult pattern.

In particular, take a look at the bird in the upper left of the first
picture on this page:

http://users.hoops.ne.jp/vegae/Sb010905/Sb010905T.html

That bird (IDed as probably 4th winter) has a bill that is *very* similar in
pattern to photo 1 of the KW bird.
-----
Also, the plumage of the Key West bird seems to indicate 3rd summer molting
into 4th winter (=adult).

David Wright
Miami Shores