This Thursday the Viera Ponds were too deep for shorebirds, but The
Golden Girls had a large flock of BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  5 CARACARA were
near the ponds, a few feet from the car(three juvenile, 2 adult).  Last
week we saw a small flock of BOBOLINKS, but this week there were around
250 in the field East of the north ponds. A MERLIN skimmed  over one of
the fields.

I finally located the Coconut Point Sanctuary on Friday, and there must
have been 100 CAPE MAY WARBLERS; haven't seen that many since we lost
our Silk Oak Tree to the frost in '89. Plenty of other warblers there
too; A MERLIN picked up one of them and perched on a snag a few feet
from me and we stared at each other for a few minutes.  A rain storm
soon sent me on my way.  The area is another EEL'S save; it's wonderful,
I'm grateful.

Today Howard and I did a survey at Merrit Is. Wildlife Refuge, a couple
of days early, since it will be closed until after the shuttle on
Wednesday.
75 species and some of the highlights:

ROSEATE SPOONBILLS
5 species of Terns: GULL-BILLED(3), FORSTER'S, ROYAL, CASPIAN AND
BLACK(1)
GRAY CATBIRD
GRAY KINGBIRD

Hammock birds:
VEERY
SWAINSON'S THRUSH
l0 species warblers, the best for me being: GOLDEN-WINGED, YELLOW,
HOODED, AND WORM-EATING
Many RED-EYED and WHITE-EYED VIREOS, 1 YELLOW-THROATED.

Phyllis Mansfield,
Cocoa Beach