attn: Gail Menk

Hi all,

Birded Springhill Road STF in Tallahassee early this afternoon. Since it was
so hot I didn't do any real counting, but focused on the target bird - and
found it: EARED GREBE. Year bird #250! Also found a CASPIAN TERN, both of
the above in "Swan Lake", but wasn't able to turn any Yellowlegs (both
species) into phalaropes.

Note on the grebe: I noticed in the "birder's log" on the desk in the office
that an earlier party had found a Horned Grebe. "My" grebe was definitly
Eared, however there was another interesting grebe that, apparently having
been up by the "shore" and spooked by my presence, squawked and skittered
across the water (first time I've ever seen any grebe flying). It didn't
look like a PIED-BILLED GREBE (of which there were also a few) but it 'went
deep' before I could draw a bead on it.

Other birds seen included PECTORAL and LEAST SANDPIPERS, MALLARD,
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, SNOWY EGRET, CORMORANT, COLLARED
DOVE...

...and KILLDEER. Lots of Killdeer. As in, ten twenty thirty forty fifty or
more...

-S.P.McCool
Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida