Hi all,
Things still mostly sluggish this morning at John Chestnut Park in Palm
Harbor, but thought I'd try it 1 more day. Most common birds were
Snowbirds and Road-runners. I was about to call it quits when I came upon
a path on the North trail with a sign saying "stay on trail", right after
the first boardwalk. I didn't "stay on trail", and walked down the park
maintenance road anyway, and finally found some action. Down on the
ground a little ways down the path was a male Hooded Warbler, and a few
yards beyond 3 Ovenbirds. 2 of them (ovenbirds) were apparently a
"couple", one strutting around with its tail cocked and the other tagging
along, and every now and they squabbled with each other. In a tree above
were a Yellow-throated Warbler and my first Florida Blue-winged Warbler.
As I was leaving, I had a Pine Warbler, many Parula Warblers, Red-eyed
Vireo, and 3 Gnatcatchers. Only 1 Empid today, species unknown. Not a bad
morning, hopefully portending good days ahead!
Good Birding,
Ray Smart
New Port Richey, FL