This evening, as the sun was setting, I took my usual pose on a lounge chair,
flattened out, to watch the sky for migrants.  I watched a number of flocks
of Great Blue Herons, some flocks accompanied by Great Egrets, glide over me.
 I counted 68 Great Blues and 12 Great Egrets among the 7 flocks that passed.
 I had half the dusk walking neighborhood craning their necks to see what I
was trying to see.

Yesterday I visited Rima Ridge just west of Ormond/Daytona and found exactly
ONE warbler, Pines.  I did get wonderful looks at 2 hatch year Bachman's
Sparrows who popped up and looked at me as intently as I looked at them.  I
had only seen adults in the past so the young were a treat.  Another great
treat was finding a Chuck-Will's Widow sleeping on a branch of a pine tree.
And, it looks like the Red-headed Woodpeckers were prolific this year with
several hatch year young flying around.  I also heard the unmistakable "Free
Beer" call of an Alder's Flycatcher, but I never actually saw it so I can't
prove it.  I did find a total of 31 species which I felt was pretty good
since there don't seem to be migrants around yet (around here, anyway).

Meret Wilson
Ormond Beach