Julie,
      We don't have a policy preventing volunteer tutors, and do use them
occasionally.  However, in the past I have found the ones I had to be
somewhat problematic.  Because they were not being paid, they were more
likely to cancel sessions or call in sick when their schedules got too
hectic or they had many exams.   Of course when they have a lot of exams
their students have a lot of exams and need to have the tutors at their
posts.  For this reason we try to avoid using volunteers.  It seemed that
more likely than not, we got what we paid for.  I hope others have had a
different experience with volunteer tutors and can be more encouraging.

Good luck,
Saundra

PS  Thanks to the Listers who gave great info on the ADD friendly
institutions.  It was quite helpful!

Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Academic Success
Adj. Professor, Department of Chemistry
B31 Coates Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.6749 phone
225.578.2696 fax
www.cas.lsu.edu

                    Julie Shattuck
                    <JShattuck@FREDERICK        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    .EDU>                       cc:     (bcc: Saundra Y Mcguire/smcgui1/LSU)
                    Sent by: Open Forum         Subject:     Volunteer Tutors
                    for Learning
                    Assistance
                    Professionals
                    izona.edu>

                    09/04/2002 12:57 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Open Forum for
                    Learning Assistance
                    Professionals

I am interested in finding out what other colleges' policies are about
using volunteer tutors. Currently I am not allowed to use volunteer
tutors due to liability "issues". I would like to change this policy and
it would be useful to find out what other people do.

Thank you.

Julie Shattuck
Program Manager, Tutorial Services
(301) 846 2523