My argment would be that developmental- "meets people at their need level"
(Vygotsky's scaffolding) vs. remedial which tends to infer "redoing" or
"reducing" due to a lack of skills.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Catherine Denmark [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Remedial vs. Developmental

My college is in discussion about using the term remedial verses using the
term developmental.  I am trying to convince my school that we should be
using the developmental, but am having a very difficult time convincing a
few faculty.  Is there anyone out there who would be willing to explain the
difference between the two and why we should use one verses the other.  Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MC Denmark
Director, Student Resource Center
Washington & Jefferson College
Washington, PA  15301