Hello All --

This is an example of a hidden cost in many learning assistance centers. This
is one reason why many of our clients turned to us for online tutorial
services. Schools purchase however many hours they think their students will
use and we keep a running total of the time used whenever students use those
hours. So, schools aren't paying for inefficient scheduling in drop-in, missed
appointments or other hidden inefficiencies.

Burck Smith
CEO, SMARTHINKING
www.smarthinking.com

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:34:05 -0500 "Oppitz, LouAnn"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As the peer tutoring coordinator of a community
> college, one of the problems that I am
> experiencing this fall is that students are
> coming back once they have been scheduled with
> a tutor and telling me that they can't be here
> at the time they are scheduled and they need a
> new day and time.  They have had a variety of
> excuses: my schedule changed, my work schedule
> changed, my carpool times have changed, I am in
> class at that time, I must have put down the
> wrong times I had available, etc.  Has anyone
> else ever had this problem?  I have a sign
> hanging up that states for them to consider
> carefully the hours that they say they are
> available on their request forms.  In the past
> I would always have a few change requests but
> never a many as I have had this fall.  It has
> become a real headache because of budget cuts,
> I have less hours to work with for tutoring
> purposes and then students want a time that is
> more convenient for them.
>
> I have considered a more automated system of
> scheduling, but I don't think it would ever
> work at our school.  There are just too many
> variables out there when it comes tutor/student
> scheduling.  Or am I being too flexible with
> the students?  I figure that the more convienct
> it is for them the more likely they are to show
> up for tutoring.
>
> Does anyone else have thoughts on this topic?
> LouAnn Oppitz
> Peer Tutoring Coordinator
> Inver Hills Community College
> Inver Grove Heights, MN  55076