We have been remedial and compensatory and developmental and now we emerge
as learning to learn (can the folks who translate compensatory into
remedial, and developmental to compensatory to remedial, and learning to
learn to developmental to compensatory to remedial be far behnd????)

We can only hide behind a label for so long.

Underlying concepts powered by theory and research and associated best
practice is the key to professionalism.

The key to survival may unfortunately be associated with a healthy bottom
line for the institution. (sorry to be the cynic)

Norman A. Stahl
Professor and Chair
Literacy Education
GH 223
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115

Phone: (815) 753-9032
FAX:   (815) 753-8563

Universities are institutions run by amateurs to train professionals.
Derek Bok----Harvard University