Dear Lrnassters,

At SUNY College at Oneonta, we have seen major changes in just the past
two years.  Our students are coming in with an average of 1100 on the
SAT, whereas when I came to work here in 1999, the average was around
900.  Of course, the SAT doesn't mean too much to me, but there is no
denying that we need to update our own thinking.  Our enrollment
demographics have changed so dramatically that our Learning Support
Services needs to re-think its instructional objectives.

One way in which we have adjusted is to offer College Learning and Study
Skills, a course that teaches research skills and focuses on
metacognition.  This is offered for all students and is becoming quite
popular.  My underlying idea with this course is that a developmental
model can be employed for any student at a point of transition.  This is
our way of making developmental education relevant to all students.

Our big concern is how to manage our developmental reading course.  We
give students who have low verbal SAT score (450 and below) the TABE and
place those in the reading course who score below 12.0 on the TABE
verbal section into this course.  It's a for-credit course.  (Our
developmental writing course is non-credit bearing.)  Our reading course
covers BOTH reading and study skills, which is probably not ideal
because it's trying to do too much.

I am hoping that those of you who teach a similar developmental reading
course could help us out by sending me (off-list - because the list
can't do attachments) a copy of your syllabus.  I'd like to see what
others do so that when we revise our course we can take current
practices into consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amy Crouse-Powers

Amy Crouse-Powers, M.A.