Colegas,

Aside from the baggage that "remedial" carries, it also is a very limiting
term because it focuses only on the student and what needs to be fixed in
the student.   A developmental framework is an enabling one rather than a
limiting one  in that it allows for us, even requires us to look at the
context of development.  This includes the student's world and the
teacher's world and the point where they intersect, the Institution.  It is
a more scholarly framework and thus invites the academic community to
critique it, refine it, and build theory as well as practice.  It is a more
timely framework in that life-long learning implies a life-long
developmental process, beyond the freshman year where remediation currently
resides.  Finally, it is a more financially defensible framework in that
remediation is in more danger of being cut when budgets get tight.  I hope
this helps.  Ultimately, this is a political process and we must identify
which faculty/administrators need convincing and which we can ignore.

Miguel Angel Acosta
College Enrichment Program
University of New Mexico

--On Monday, September 23, 2002 1:43 PM -0400 "Boone, Steven"