-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dennis Congos
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 8:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Remedial vs. Developmental

--=_F1AD5098.0B6A089B

Hi,
=20
It appears to me that as long as there is a general perception that =
developmental and remedial are synonymous or nearly so, that no matter
how =
hard we try to change the perceptions of the world, we have chosen to =
fight a battle that we can't win.  There have been many lengthy and =
sometimes heated discussions in the past about using the label
"development=
al" vs. somethign else.   There were many who warned that we were doomed
=
to be lumped with remedial out side of the profession if we stuck with =
"developmental."  As all can see, these predictions have become true as
=
made evident by the concern arising repeatedly every year.
=20
Our leaders and many of our colleagues insisted in the past that we use
=
the term "develomental" for what we do and inside the profession, it is
=
distinctly different than "remedial."  But coming out of the clouds of =
fantasy and should's and facing what exists in the world of reality, =
developmental and remedial are perceived as synonymous or nearly so and
as =
long as we insist on calling ourselves developmental educators, much of
=
the real world will continue to see us as remedial educators.  I wish it
=
was not this way, but it appears to be.
=20
That brings up the dilema that if we all agreed to rename ourselves (now
I =
am in the fantasy realm), what should we be called?
=20
Best wishes to all..........................
=20
=20
Dennis
=20
=20
Dennis H. Congos
Supplemental Instruction Coordinator=20
Student Academic Resource Center (SARC)
POB 163115
114 Phillips Hall
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL 32816-3115
Phone 407-823-5130
FAX 407-823-2051
Email: [log in to unmask]
To subscribe to SINet: send email to [log in to unmask]
In body of the message type: subscribe SInet yourfirstname yourlastname
Unsubscribe:  send email to [log in to unmask]
In body of the message type: signoff SInet
Messages for everyone in the group, send to [log in to unmask]
SI web page: http://www.umkc.edu/cad/si/=20
NADE Homepage:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/nade.htm=20

--=_F1AD5098.0B6A089B

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1"=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It appears to me&nbsp;that as long as there is a general perception
=
that=20
developmental and remedial are synonymous or nearly so, that no matter
how =
hard=20
we try to change the perceptions of the world, we have chosen to fight a
=
battle=20
that we can't win.&nbsp; There have been many lengthy and sometimes =
heated=20
discussions in the past about using the label "developmental" vs. =
somethign=20
else.&nbsp;&nbsp; There were many who warned that we were doomed to be =
lumped=20
with remedial out side of the profession if we stuck with
"developmental."&=
nbsp;=20
As all can see, these predictions have become true as made evident by=20
the&nbsp;concern arising repeatedly every year.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our leaders and many of our colleagues insisted in the past that we
=
use the=20
term "develomental" for what we do and inside the profession, it is =
distinctly=20
different than "remedial."&nbsp; But coming out of the clouds of fantasy
=
and=20
should's and facing what exists in the world of reality, developmental =
and=20
remedial are perceived as synonymous or nearly so and as long as we
insist =
on=20
calling ourselves developmental educators, much of the real world will =
continue=20
to&nbsp;see&nbsp;us as remedial educators.&nbsp; I wish it was not this
=
way, but=20
it appears to be.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That brings up the dilema that if we all agreed to rename ourselves
=
(now I=20
am in the fantasy realm), what should we be called?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Best wishes to all..........................</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis H. Congos<BR>Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
<BR>Student=
=20
Academic Resource Center (SARC)<BR>POB 163115<BR>114 Phillips
Hall<BR>Unive=
rsity=20
of Central Florida<BR>Orlando, FL 32816-3115<BR>Phone
407-823-5130<BR>FAX=
=20
407-823-2051<BR>Email: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A> <BR>To =
subscribe to=20
SINet: send email to <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A
> =
<BR>In=20
body of the message type: subscribe SInet yourfirstname=20
yourlastname<BR>Unsubscribe:&nbsp; send email to <A=20
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A
> =
<BR>In=20
body of the message type: signoff SInet<BR>Messages for everyone in the
=
group,=20
send to <A
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]<=
/A>=20
<BR>SI web page: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.umkc.edu/cad/si/">http://www.umkc.edu/cad/si/</A><BR>
NAD=