I do both, pay them for the training at their current rate, and give them a raise once they become certified.  It is somewhat painful to do, because I have to pay a tutor that was under workstudy the new rate out of the student labor budget instead of the workstudy budget.
So the student ends up costing five times as much.  I think it's worth it though.

Craig Andres