I have taught developmental math in both a 5 week and an 8 week summer session. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my students usually did well, despite the shorter time period.  In fact, they often did better though I did not cut my requirements for the class. I found that when they are emmersed in the math more often, they tend to forget less.  The 5 week summer class, meeting 4 days a week was actually my favorite. With extended time I was able to do more group activities that really helped the students learn from one another. In addition, the students developed a study group mentality that helped them in future classes. After having that positive experience, they formed their own groups in other classes.

MaryLiz Pierce
Red Mountain Campus
Mesa Community College
Mesa, AZ