Thank you very much for sharing this.
Julie

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/27/02 09:08AM >>>
Julie,
Our training course at NC State carries one credit and meets once a
week
for 75 minutes.  The students begin tutoring as early as the week
after
the second class meeting.  Key concepts are:
- Effective teaching practices established by research
- Indirect teaching practices
- Positive reinforcement
- Benefits of tutee verbalization
- Questioning skills
- Tutee conceptual level / Structure applied by tutor
- Learning styles
- Tutoring Problems / Tutor assertiveness
- Active listening

The main instructional elements are:
1)  Brainstorming activities to draw out student ideas on teaching and
learning;
2)  Journalizing about tutoring sessions;
3)  Class discussions about tutoring sessions and new topics;
4)  Training videos on new topics and associated discussions;
5)  Tutors must make a video of one of their tutoring sessions and
write
a critique.

Hope this helps.
-Ken Gattis

Kenneth W. Gattis
Director, Undergraduate Tutorial Center
147 Leazar Hall, Box 7105
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695
(919) 515-5619

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/25/02 09:54AM >>>
I am writing a syllabus for a tutor training course that I hope to
offer
for credit at my community college. I know a number of people have
said
that they offer credit training courses and I would be grateful if you
could share your syllabus with me. I am particularly interested in
what
you have as your core learning outcomes, how many credits you offer,
whether you require the students to tutor as part of the course, and
whether your course transfers to 4 year colleges.

Thank you for your help.

Julie Shattuck
Program Manager, Tutorial Services
Frederick Community College