The funny thing is that this has happened before.  In mathematics much of the
notation was basically to remove english words from the flow of a proof or
solution.  Phrases such as "therefore", "there exists", "there exists a unique", "is
a subset of", "such that", "is an element of", "thus the theorem is proved", "by
contradiction" etc, all have been given single character symbols in mathematics.  Of
course it took longer to develop than the IM shorthand.  Fortunately I never tried
to use any of those symbols in my writing assignments.