Do you pay your students to attend tutor training? If you do pay them is it the regular hourly rate that you would pay for tutoring time?

We have always paid our students but our budget is so tight we are considering paying a stipend for completing the training (which would be less than the price of hourly rate) or not paying for the training but moving tutors to a higher pay rate when training is complete.

We are trying to balance what is fair and ethical with what we can afford and would welcome your comments and suggestions.  Thanks!!

Sue Knight
Learning Assistance
Alfred State College
Alfred, NY 14802