LouAnn,

I have a drop in lab, so I do not have to deal with this problem.  However, I did have an unusually large number of tutors changing their work schedules after the semester started.

My initial reaction would be to tell the student that changing his/her schedule could jeopardize access to tutoring.  I also like Amy's idea.  I'm all for anything that places responsibility back on the student.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Coordinator, Math Tutorial Services
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/24/02 10:34AM >>>
Hi all,

As the peer tutoring coordinator of a community college, one of the problems that I am experiencing this fall is that students are coming back once they have been scheduled with a tutor and telling me that they can't be here at the time they are scheduled and they need a new day and time.  They have had a variety of excuses: my schedule changed, my work schedule changed, my carpool times have changed, I am in class at that time, I must have put down the wrong times I had available, etc.  Has anyone else ever had this problem?  I have a sign hanging up that states for them to consider carefully the hours that they say they are available on their request forms.  In the past I would always have a few change requests but never a many as I have had this fall.  It has become a real headache because of budget cuts, I have less hours to work with for tutoring purposes and then students want a time that is more convenient for them.

I have considered a more automated system of scheduling, but I don't think it would ever work at our school.  There are just too many variables out there when it comes tutor/student scheduling.  Or am I being too flexible with the students?  I figure that the more convienct it is for them the more likely they are to show up for tutoring.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this topic?
LouAnn Oppitz
Peer Tutoring Coordinator
Inver Hills Community College
Inver Grove Heights, MN  55076