Sue,

We pay our tutors to attend training/staff meetings about 5 times a semester (5 hours total).  I have set up the training program so that much of it is individualized.  They can work on it during shifts that are slow, or o their own time.  I've not been specific about whether or not they charge me for time they spend on tutor training, but I would expect to pay them something.  Most of their training is done during regular work hours.  Unfortunately, few complete a level of training in one semester because the lab is so busy.

I really like your idea of paying a stipend.  I think it sounds fair.  I might actually get more trained tutors with that approach than I am getting now.

We do attach a pay raise to achieving the second level (CRLA) of training, plus they have to pass a higher level math test.  The incentive doesn't seem to be enough to encourage tutors to complete that much training.  They are very busy.

Let me know what you decide and how it works.

Kathy

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Coordinator, Math Tutorial Services
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/06/02 10:48AM >>>
Do you pay your students to attend tutor training? If you do pay them is it the regular hourly rate that you would pay for tutoring time?

We have always paid our students but our budget is so tight we are considering paying a stipend for completing the training (which would be less than the price of hourly rate) or not paying for the training but moving tutors to a higher pay rate when training is complete.

We are trying to balance what is fair and ethical with what we can afford and would welcome your comments and suggestions.  Thanks!!

Sue Knight
Learning Assistance
Alfred State College
Alfred, NY 14802