The professor’s concern is just that. The student could be consulting a saved document of notes and calculations, and the professor, being a non-Japanese speaker, would never know the difference. (It’s interesting that the professor contacted me mentioning my role with ADA rather than my role in academic support.)

My concern is that the student will continue to rely on the translator and will not develop even a functional level of English speech.

My initial reaction is to allow students to use the devices. At the same time, I believe they should also be required to meet weekly with our ESL tutors.

Kelly A. Norton, M.S.

Director, Academic Services Center

High Point University

Smith Library, Lower Level