Syllabi needed

Dear Lrnassters,

At SUNY College at Oneonta, we have seen major changes in just the past two years.  Our students are coming in with an average of 1100 on the SAT, whereas when I came to work here in 1999, the average was around 900.  Of course, the SAT doesnt mean too much to me, but there is no denying that we need to update our own thinking.  Our enrollment demographics have changed so dramatically that our Learning Support Services needs to re-think its instructional objectives

One way in which we have adjusted is to offer College Learning and Study Skills, a course that teaches research skills and focuses on metacognition.  This is offered for all students and is becoming quite popular.  My underlying idea with this course is that a developmental model can be employed for any student at a point of transition.  This is our way of making developmental education relevant to all students.

Our big concern is how to manage our developmental reading course.  We give students who have low verbal SAT score (450 and below) the TABE and place those in the reading course who score below 12.0 on the TABE verbal section into this course.  Its a for-credit course.  (Our developmental writing course is non-credit bearing.)  Our reading course covers BOTH reading and study skills, which is probably not ideal because its trying to do too much.

I am hoping that those of you who teach a similar developmental reading course could help us out by sending me (off-list because the list cant do attachments) a copy of your syllabus.  Id like to see what others do so that when we revise our course we can take current practices into consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amy Crouse-Powers

Amy Crouse-Powers, M.A.

Learning Support Services