<snip>Can you expect today's graduates who use email, instant messaging and
cell phones to communicate every conscious thought (no matter how.......)
instantly around the globe to wait for interoffice mail, the postal system
or the records center to deliver a document? Paper will still grow, it will
still be critical to business but we must be ambidextrous in our approach
and be comfortable protecting all types of records.<snip>

Good point.  I've noticed the trend toward accepting each record (in all its
definition glory) as being maintained in two forms in many organizations.
It is now more common to use/access/retrieve information in electronic form,
and most organizations expect fairly active records to be maintained in that
form for access purposes - whether "born digital" (as a colleague of mine
describes it) or converted to digital.  A second "copy" of the record is
maintained in hard format of some type - in many cases still paper or
microfilm - for preservation, retention, and/or protection of the
information.  As the now younger generation become the norm in the
workplace, we will find records practitioners regarding the issues of
digital preservation and retention to be of priority over the
issues/practice of protecting paper records.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, MIT/LIT)
Records Manager
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities